Help the Public Press grow — become a member today!
- First Name
- Last Name
- Public Press role
- Online editor of BayNature.org/Freelance writer
- Where I live
- Bay Area
Alison Hawkes is a freelance reporter based in San Francisco, and is also the online editor of BayNature.org. She primarily covers environmental stories and has contributed pieces to public radio programs at KQED and KALW in San Francisco, The World, and NPR’s Morning Edition. In a former life, she was a newspaper bureau chief covering the Pennsylvania state capital, then moved into radio at Deutsche Welle in Bonn, Germany. She has a master’s in science journalism from Columbia University. Alison spends her off-time hiking the Bay Area and snooping around farmers markets for something tasty to eat.
- Member for
- 7 years 1 week
- View recent blog entries
More by Alison Hawkes
- Environmentalists, preservationists face off in Parkmerced
- Through two mayors, connected island developers cultivated profitable deal
- Test results of city sludge don’t satisfy critics
- Boxer: Nation needs more green jobs
- Mayor shakes up Treasure Island development board, ousts only resident
- Not just fun and games, America’s Cup races have environmental toll
- California utilities commission to allow customers to opt-out of smart meters
- California officials say radiation ‘plume’ from Japan won’t increase state’s levels above normal
- PG&E proposes charging customers to opt out of Smart Meter program
- Can San Francisco add 150,000 more people?